Active Arts is a visual and performing arts project run by Hastings & Bexhill Mencap Society.
Each of our courses run one day a week over an academic year. Students can attend more than one course and we have places for 60 students a year. Students need to apply to attend please call 01424 422082 or email email@example.com.
Our work encourages students to develop both individual and team skills as these skills progress our courses continue to develop and grow.
Active Arts strives to raise the profile of artists and performers with a learning disability. Where possible we run our classes in community spaces and collaborate with other artists and venues. We have exhibited work at The Tate Modern London, Open Studios Coastal Currents Festival, Hastings Museum, St Mary in the Castle, The Stade Hall and various Cafes and venues around town.
Professional artists and performers teach each course and students have the opportunity to exhibit and perform their work and to take part in an end of year show at the De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill.
Our current classes and activities are:-
- Making for the Stage – working closely with the performance classes, students learn to make and use different props for the stage. The students also perform in the Active Arts show.
- Dance – Improvised or Structured, solo or ensemble, this group creates professional standard dance pieces which are performed at the Active Arts show. This class takes place at Christchurch Hall
- Art & Design – Students work with professional artists to learn different techniques and produce their own portfolio of work. We also visit art exhibitions and have the opportunity to exhibit our own work in various locations. The Art & Design students also work to create designs for the Active Arts Enterprise – producing quality cards and products using original art work.
- Comedy & Drama Improvisation – Using music, movement, comedy & mime the tutor works closely with the students to develop sketches for performance at the Active Arts show. This class takes place at the White Rock Theatre.
- Musical Theatre – This class produces stunning solo and group pieces which are performed at the Active Arts show and other events throughout the year. The class includes singing and acting techniques and vocal and physical exercise. The class also takes place at the White Rock Theatre.
- Active Arts Enterprises – a new project creating cards and other products using students original art work
- Active Arts working in partnership with Craftivists
share the craftivism
Share this page on your social media channel